Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sunset Chicken and Rice

Cookbook Recipe #11



My dad and my brother came out to visit me a couple of weeks ago and my dad brought me this cookbook. Before he came out he sent me a couple of pictures of different cookbooks and asked me if I had them. Amazingly I did not! I watched the first few seasons of Desperate Housewives, so I knew enough about the characters to understand how they came up with the recipes that represented each character. This recipe represented Eva Longoria's character Gabrielle.

I really like a good chicken and rice recipe. I picked this recipe out of the book because I thought it was a good rendition of regular chicken and rice. I liked the look that turmeric gave to the rice. It make it bright yellow, which gave a lot of character to the dish. I think this was a good update to traditional chicken and rice that is an easy addition to your recipe list.

Sunset Chicken and Rice
Adapted from The Desperate Housewives Cookbook by Christopher Styler

3 pounds chicken thighs and drums
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup dry white wine
31/2 cups chicken broth
1 8oz can Spanish style tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
1 2oz jar pimentos
2 cups medium grain white rice

Blot chicken pieces dry with paper towels. Season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.

Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken pieces and cook until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes. Remove chicken from dutch oven and set aside.

Add garlic and turmeric to pan and cook 1 minutes. Add wine and bring to boil. Scrape up any brown bits that are on the bottom of the dutch oven. Add broth, tomato sauce and bay leaf. Return chicken to dutch oven. Add peas and carrots, pimentos and rice. Bring to boil and then adjust heat so liquid is simmering. Cover pot and cook until rice and tender and chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.

Print Recipe

This Recipe is linked on: Full Plate ThursdaysTastetastic ThursdaysThriving on ThursdaysCreative ThursdaysFantastic ThursdaysKeepin it Real Thursdays,
Foodie Friday, Foodtastic Fridays, Friday's Favorites, Foodie Friday
Foodie Friends Friday



8 comments:

  1. this sounds good... Would love it if you shared it on our Linky party this weekend. http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com/2012/08/foodie-friends-friday-linky-party_23.html. Or any recipe that you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Sunset Chicken and Rice looks great. There's some lovely flavours in this dish. I had not heard of the Desperate Housewives cookbook - it sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good one. And I always love a one pot meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good! I haven't heard of that cookbook! Sounds great! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Don't forget to come back and VOTE on Sunday! Tell your friends to vote your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm this looks good. I love the color of the rice too. Thanks for sharing on Foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my this sounds and looks delicious! I can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing at Creative Thursday last week. I can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great day
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I am not sure how to get the red plate onto my blog though...I am not that blogger savvy...

    ReplyDelete