Saturday, July 20, 2013

Country Fried Steak


Cookbook Recipe #57

Country Fried Steak is probably in my top five favorite dishes. For some reason you do not see it on menus very many places around here in Illinois. Not sure why. It was everywhere on menus in Iowa where I grew up. I ordered it all the time.

I found this recipe in the Cooking Light Comfort Food Cookbook. This is a great cookbook! I am always trying to find lighter versions of my favorites. As many of you know, I love comfort food. So if I can find a less caloric version, I want to try it. I have always liked recipes from Cooking Light. Most times they do not taste like you are using lighter ingredients. So I thought this recipe would be great as well.

As much as I love this dish you would think I would have this great recipe for it that I have mastered and make all the time, right? Well that is not the case. I have tried several recipes and every time I do something to sabotage it. Usually I over cook it. This recipe seemed easy enough and yet I still overcooked it. I think I am always afraid of under cooking so I overcooked. I am sure if I followed this recipe time it would have came out fine, but I left it on a little longer than I should have. It was still good, but not the same. So if you make this recipe, follow the time exactly! The gravy was really good, although my Mom would not approve...(sssshhh, it was from a package)! The recipe called to use a mushroom gravy because it it from Cooking Light. I was okay with making the steak part light, but the gravy...no way. Hopefully if you guys make this it turns out better for you!

Country Fried Steak
Adapted from Cooking Light Comfort Food

3 tablespoons fat free milk
2 large egg whites
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 sirloin cubed steaks
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

1 package country style gravy

Combine milk and egg whites in a shallow dish with a whisk.

In another shallow dish combine flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

Starting with one steak dip in egg mixture, then flour mixture. Repeat with the rest of the steaks.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook steaks 3 minutes on each side or until browned.

Remove steaks from pan and keep warm.

Make gravy according to package directions.

Serve over steaks.




No comments:

Post a Comment