Saturday, August 17, 2013

Boston Baked Beans Brennan

Cookbook Recipe #61

I got this cookbook while Phil and I were on a trip to Vegas. We decided to take a day trip to go see the Grand Canyon as neither of us had ever been there. We took a tour bus there as we did not have a car on the trip and on the way they stopped at a restaurant and gift shop for a lunch. In the gift shop they had this cookbook. I always like to try to find a cookbook while I am on vacation as I like to bring home some of the local flavors. I thought this book was perfect for the west. It is chalk full of home cooked cowboy favorites and stories of the wild west.

My Dad and brother Daniel were visiting last weekend and I decided to make a ham and wanted a fun side to go with it. I knew we did not have plans for Sunday so I thought I would finally be able to make from scratch baked beans. They take a long time in the oven so it is hard to do unless you are home all day. They were super easy to make and came out great. I made some additions to the recipe as I like my beans sweet. I added some ketchup and brown sugar. I would probably add even more next time as I would have liked them a little sweeter. Sorry for the picture, I completely forgot to take the picture while they were still in the pot so I had to take leftovers to take this pic.

Boston Baked Beans Brennan
Adapted from The All American Cowboy Cookbook

1 pound dry Great Northern Beans, soaked overnight
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup molasses
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Cook beans in water with baking soda for 10 minutes over medium low heat. Drain and rinse.

In a large dutch oven mix beans, bacon, molasses, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Add enough water to barely cover the beans. Bake for 6 hours.

Checking every hour or 2 and adding more water if necessary.

With one hour remaining add the brown sugar and ketchup. Mix well and finish baking.



No comments:

Post a Comment