Friday, August 2, 2013

Red Velvet Whoopee Pies

Cookbook Recipe #59

I have been wanting to make whoopee pies for awhile now. I bought whoopee pie pans last year with the intention of making them. Yeeaaa it never happened. Phil and I were going over to a friends house last weekend and I was looking for something to make for dessert that didn't have to go in the oven or stay frozen because we had to travel a bit. I thought, I will finally make whoopee pies. I came across these red velvet whoopee pies in Paula Deen's cookbook. I love anything red velvet so I thought they would be perfect. I had never had a whoopee pie so I didn't know what they were supposed to taste like. They came out pretty good. I thought the cream filling would be sweeter then it was, but they were still good. They were a lot easier then I thought as well, which is always nice for a dessert.

Cousin Johnnie's Red Velvet Whoopee Pies
Recipe from The Deen Family Cookbook by Paula Deen

Pies

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups canola oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar
One 1 ounce bottle red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk

Filling

5 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
8 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly grease whoopee pie pans, or cookie sheet.

Sift flour, baking soda, and cocoa together.

In another bowl combine oil, vinegar, food coloring and vanilla.

In an electric mixer beat the sugar and eggs together until they turn pale and double in volume. Add the oil mixture and mix to combine. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in five small additions, starting and ending with flour.

Drop the batter by tablespoons onto whoopee pie pans or cookie sheets. This will make 48 cookies.

Bake 12 minutes and transfer immediately to cooking racks.

For the filling put flour into medium saucepan and slowly add milk. Whisk until smooth. Turn to medium heat and cook stirring constantly with a whisk until very thick. Cool completely.

Mix together sugar, butter, shortening and vanilla in an electric mixer. Add flour mixture and whip until fluffy.

Spread onto cookie and top with another cookie. Continue until all cookies are done.

Store in refrigerator

.



No comments:

Post a Comment